The ‘Tos Pelat’ is an archaeological site from the Iberian period, an oppidum of approximately 3 ha of urbanized area. It is the only Iberian site of ancient chronology (6th-4th century BC) and clearly urban character preserved in the Valencian region of ‘l’Horta Nord’. It was discovered in 1920 by the Valencian archaeologist Juan José Senent Ibáñez. Since then and until 2002, no archaeological intervention had been made. In recent years, work is underway to improve its value, that is, its excavation, study, consolidation and dissemination. The sponsor of the nine campaigns carried out between 2002 and 2009 was the City of Moncada. The General Direction of Cultural Heritage of the Ministry of Culture and Sports of the Generalitat Valenciana has always supported and subsidized intervention projects and the University of Valencia has participated intensively in the excavation and study of the site.
The walled Iberian settlement of ‘Tos Pelat’ is an asset of cultural interest inscribed with code 46.11.070-005 and annotation number RI-51-0011388. It is located in the municipalities of Bétera and Moncada. It is an Iberian town that was inhabited between the sixth and fourth centuries BC.
The archaeological site has an area of two hectares, although some experts maintain that its original extension could have been larger. Wall paintings have been found in blue, white and red.
Among the findings in this settlement is one of the few known Iberian signaries: ‘el signario del Tos Pelat’ which is actually a set of fragments of dual northeast Iberian signaries distributed in two sheets of lead in a characteristic way that appeared rolled up inside the another in 2003 in a domestic context of the last phase of the town.